Alexandrina Lemon Bars
Alexandrina Spring Recipe Series
Bring back the slice this Spring - especially one with a rich shortcrust based topped with a tangy lemon curd, this lemon bar slice is as fresh as sunshine.
Stack these Lemon Bars two high, dried lemon slices for garnish, or use some spring flowers from the garden to decorate the plate
Make cutting this Alexandrina Lemon Bar Slice one of your MUST DO's this weekend!
ALEXANDRINA LEMON BARS
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 cups plain flour
pinch of salt
6 free range eggs
2 cups castor sugar
2 T lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup plain flour
+ ¼ cup icing sugar for dusting
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- mix the crème fraiche and castor sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy
- combine the flour and salt, gradually add all of the flour mixture to the creamy mixture until everything is combined
- turn the dough out into a greased rectangular baking dish (you may line it with baking paper)
- use your hands or the bottom of a glass to compress and flatten the dough evenly in the dish
- place the dish in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes
- once the dough has chilled, remove it from the refrigerator and bake for 15 minutes, or until it is lightly browned, let the baking dish cool on the counter
- while the crust cools, place the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour in a large bowl and whisk until well mixed
- pour the lemon filling over the cooled crust and bake for 30 minutes at 180 C degrees until the filling is set
- remove the baking dish from the oven and let cool completely on the bench
- when cool, cut into rectangles and use a sifter to dust the lemon bars with icing sugar
LOOKING FOR THE ALEXANDRINA RANGE? | Alexandrina Cheese work with an incredible network of retailers and one or two key partners across the country. This list is just the beginning of where you can find Alexandrina Cheese products near you. We recommend giving retailers a call to check for which Alexandrina Cheese products they have in stock. Here is the link ---> Stockists
CALCIUM HERO OF THE DISH | Alexandrina's Creme Fraiche is a naturally matured, thickened soured cream using culture. It has a light and lemony taste, and goes well with both savoury and sweet foods as a condiment. Crème Fraiche is made by adding a culture (special bacteria) to and fermenting our fresh Pure Jersey Cream. It has a subtle tangy, slightly nutty flavour and rich, velvety texture. 30 % minimum fat | available in 500 ml tub
LOOKING FOR LEMONS | Try one of the growers at your local independent grocer or at Farmers Market
TOP TIP 1 | Take the crème fraiche and eggs out of the refrigerator at least an hour before making the lemon bars to allow them to come to room temperature
TOP TIP 2 | store any leftover lemon bars covered in the refrigerator for up to three days
PLATING UP | Stack these Lemon Bars two high, dried lemon slices for garnish, or use some spring flowers from the garden to decorate the plate
PLATING UP | You may like to serve this with a dollop of Pure Jersey Cream
FIND MORE ALEXANDRINA RECIPES HERE | Alexandrina Curd’s & Whey blog
We are preparing ourselves for our Cook - Along - Together Challenge this Spring with Alexandrina Cheese Company
You are welcome to tune in to our LIVESTREAM on Wednesday to hear about how this #challenge is going to work.
Our recipe of the series is this delicious Alexandrina Lemon Bars.
We are keen for you to post your cooking photographs either on facebook or instagram, using our new hashtags.
Each week the second hashtag will change, stay tuned!
First published sometime during the early 2000’s – Cooking with Rebekah, and commonly Rebekah handed out little recipes at the Alexandrina Cheese stall at the farmer’s market.
This blog is not sponsored, we exclusively partner with Alexandrina Cheese Company Pty Ltd.