Alexandrina Raspberry Ricotta Cake
Alexandrina Spring Recipe Series
A delicious, super simple Ricotta cake with bursts of delicious Raspberries, we always love to use Mt Compass based ‘Harvest the Fleurieu’ for all our berry needs during spring and summer. This cake uses Alexandrina Fresh Jersey Ricotta which adds a delicately lemony, mild and milky, with a slightly sweet, eggy flavour, combined with Alexandrina's Creme Fraiche which adds a subtle tangy, slightly nutty flavour and rich, velvety texture. Alexandrina Raspberry Ricotta Cake will be sure to put a spring in your step!
ALEXANDRINA RASPBERRY RICOTTA CAKE
serves 10 -12
500g Alexandrina Fresh Jersey Ricotta cheese
225g plain flour
225g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3 free range eggs
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups raspberries frozen or fresh
1/4 cup icing sugar to serve
- preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- grease a non-stick spring-form round cake pan 20-22cm diameter and set aside
- sift the plain flour and baking powder into a large bowl
- add the sugar and salt and stir to combine
- in a separate bowl, whisk the Alexandrina Ricotta, eggs, vanilla and Alexandrina Crème Fraiche together until well combined
- add 1/2 of the ricotta mixture to the dry ingredients and gently mix to combine
- add the remaining ricotta mixture and gently mix to combine
- add 1 cup of the raspberries, and very gently fold through
- pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and place the remaining raspberries on top
- cook for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
- if you find the cake is browning too much, gently place a sheet of foil over the top and return to the oven
- leave the cake to cool completely in the pan
- remove from pan before serving and dust with icing sugar
- serve warm, with a dollop of Alexandrina Pure Jersey Cream
- store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days
LOOKING FOR THE ALEXANDRINA RANGE? | Alexandrina Cheese work with an incredible network of retailers and one or two key partners across the country. This list is just the beginning of where you can find Alexandrina Cheese products near you. We recommend giving retailers a call to check for which Alexandrina Cheese products they have in stock. Here is the link ---> Stockists
Calcium Hero of the Dish | Alexandrina Fresh Jersey Ricotta | Alexandrina's Fresh Jersey Ricotta is made with a mixture of whey and Alexandrina’s Full Cream Jersey milk. Ricotta in Italian means ‘re-cooked’, it evolved from the ‘whey’ left from the making of cheese. Fresh Jersey Ricotta is a mass of creamy-white, fine and moist grains, and is firm in texture - not too wet, nor too solid. A small round wheel is made that looks like an upturned basin, with a patterned surface, the result of being drained in a colander then placed in a small tub. Fresh Jersey Ricotta is delicately lemony, mild and milky, with a slightly sweet, eggy flavour and has a fresh aroma. Fresh Jersey Ricotta is full of fresh protein. It is best eaten fresh, suitable for spreading or it can be used as a filling or for baking. 8.7 % minimum fat | available in 500 g tub.
Looking for Raspberries | Try one of the growers at your local independent grocers or find Mt Compass based ‘Harvest the Fleurieu’ at the Farmers Market.
Plating up | Serve warm, with a dollop of Alexandrina Pure Jersey Cream.
Top Tip | If you have an excess of other berries you can substitute with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, or boysenberries.
Find more Alexandrina Recipes here | Alexandrina Curd’s & Whey blog
We are preparing ourselves for our Cook - Along - Together Challenge this Spring with Alexandrina Cheese Company
You are welcome to tune in to our LIVESTREAM on Wednesday to hear about how this #challenge is going to work.
Our recipe of the series is this delicious Alexandrina Raspberry Ricotta Cake.
We are keen for you to post your cooking photographs either on facebook or instagram, using our new hashtags.
Each week the second hashtag will change, stay tuned!
First published sometime during the early 2000’s – Cooking with Rebekah, and commonly Rebekah handed out little recipes at the Alexandrina Cheese stall at the farmer’s market.
This blog is not sponsored, we exclusively partner with Alexandrina Cheese Company Pty Ltd.